Legacy
Home > About Us > Legacy > History

Legacy

History

Jai Hind College was established in 1948 by a small band of dedicated teachers of the D.J Sind College Karachi. A tragic world event, the partition of India, had driven them from their homes, their friends, and their work place. Weaker men would have succumbed to such adversities, but these were men of stronger mettle. They came to Bombay, and persevered in the face of all odds to achieve their goal of setting up an educational institution to which they could contribute their expertise, their knowledge, and their skills. This was also their way of paying back, in substantial measure, the debt they felt they owed to the land that had offered them refuge and security. But it served another purpose as well, for it enabled them to retrieve their own self respect which circumstances had so badly bruised. Thus Jai Hind College was born.

Jai Hind College was not always big. It was very small indeed when it was born, in the wake of the Partition of India, in August 1947. The men who played a major role in its creation were professors of D.J. Sind College, Karachi, assisted by a few other educationists, who came together under the banner of the Sind Educationists' Association headed by the founder Principal, Prof T. M. Advani.