The subject of Biotechnology was started by the University of Mumbai and Jai Hind College in 2002-2003. It’s a three year Degree course. There are 35 seats per class and admission is done on H.S.C. Merit basis. It’s an unaided course. The syllabus has been drafted by the faculty to represent major areas of Biotechnology.
Acheivements from 2004 onwards
The academic year, 2004-2005, opened with Jai Hind College hosting the T.Y. Syllabus Committee workshop for all colleges in Mumbai having Biotechnology at the Degree level. First Batch of B.Sc. Biotechnology graduated in 2004-05. Results have always been 100%. The Biotechnology Association, Mumbai Chapter was established and Dr AN Joshi is vice-chairman
Achievements of Biotechnology Association-
- B.Sc. Biotech students do not need to appear for M.Sc. Biotech entrance examination
- Admission to M.Sc. Biotech Course is on merit of B. Sc. Biotech marks
The Academic audit Committee Inspection took place on the 22nd September 2005. Dr. Tewari, Principal, Maharshi Dayanand College and Dr Vaman Rao, Vice Principal St. Xavier’s College came for this inspection. They were equally pleased with the department, students and faculty. Staff is very active and attends various National and International Conferences/ seminars / workshops to keep themselves abreast with the latest developments and techniques in the field of Biotechnology.
- A Large and well equipped Laboratory
- Plant tissue culture lab with Laminar air flow cabinet
- Two teachers have received recognition for M.Sc in Biotechnology.
- Successful completion of a Minor research project.
- LCD projector
img to come
- Biocon :Banglore
- Wockhardt : Aurangabad
- NCBS : Banglore
- CCMB : Hyderabad
- NDDB: Anand , Gujarat
- Amul - Anand
- NCCS- Pune
- Serum Institue of India - Pune
- IIT, Delhi
- Mushroom Factory and Medicine factory, Baddi, H.P
- National institute of Ocenography, Panaji, Goa
- Tulip Group of Companies, Goa
- Coca Cola, Goa
- UB Group, Goa
Genaces - Intercollegiate Biotechnology Festival of the Department of Biotechnology Jai Hind College.
Brainchild of the S.Y. B.Sc. students of the 2007 -2008 batch, and was started with the aim of inculcating the spirit of team work and enhancing management skills. Hence, the annual festival has been completely organized by the students. They collect the funds, sponsorships, campaign in other colleges, plan different events and actually execute them!
Multidisciplinary Non-Credit Course
The department in the academic year 2008-09 had organized a credit course in collaboration with Department of Bachelor of Management Studies on “Advertising and Manufacturing of FMCGproducts”.
- B.M.S. students lack technical knowledge of such products.
- The SY B Sc Biotech students did extensive research on the products.
- Manufactured these products in the Biotechnology lab and tested them on a group of individuals in the college.
- Learnt how FMCG products are made
- Tasted the trends and difficulties of marketing such products!
The department provides excellent learning environment for our students through Class room teaching, Lab work and summer training. We send our FY, SY and TY students to various industries, hospitals, Research centers & laboratories to get an insight in the practical application of their theoretical knowledge. Institutions where students are placed for their Summer Training:
- Jaslok Hospital & Research Center
- Haffkins Institute
- Mithibai college
- C B Patel Research centre
- NCBS Bangalore
- KEM Hospital
- Biocon, Bangalore
- Nature Magazine , London
Placement Record of past students
We at the department are extremely proud of our ex-students as. Although we have no significant contribution in their placements, other than recommendation letters,but we are extremely proud of their achievements!!!
Some of the achievers-
- Research Associate in NYU Medical Centre, New York
- Marketing Manager at Zuventus, Department of Oncology
- Ph. D. and Job in US
- Manager Marketing Life Cell
- Nature Magazine- Junior editor
- Floor Manager at 3G.
- Lecturer in Biotechnology in MVLU College
- Voice and Accent Trainer In JP Morgan
- Research Officer in Bharat Serum and Vaccines
- PR Consultant for Genesis Burson Marsteller.
- Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences, University of Toledo
- Project Manager in a reputed Pharmaceutical firm
- Manager in Varda Biotech
- Investment Banker in ICICI Bank
- Medical Underwriter in ICICI Prudential
- Working for CPC Diagnostics
- Manager Sula wines
Best Practices In the Department
- Conduct Regular Class tests, Tutorials and seminars
- Take extra lectures for topics difficult to grasp and understand
- Records of experiments done and completed for all 3 years maintained
- Staff meets once a week to discuss agenda for the coming week
- Parent teacher meeting held for TY B.Sc. students every year
- Encourage and help students for extracurricular activities
- Guide students at genaces
- Academic excellence shown with high number of distinctions and ranks at University.
- Organistion of a successful Intercollegiate festival- Genaces for the last 4 years.
- Industrial Visits to Institutions of academic excellence and Industries of Biotechnology.
- One of the in-demand subjects in Science.
- Staff, non-teaching staff and students.
- As the subject is growing and with an increasing demand........, there is a requirement for more space.
- Collaboration with other labs or industries for projects in academics.
- Provide best facility to our students to compete with other colleges in Mumbai and India.
- Competition from other colleges offering Biotechnology as an undergraduate and postgraduate subject.
- Better equipped laboratory.
The department intends to extend its horizon by
- Starting an M.Sc. program by Research as well as by papers
- Undertaking research projects
- Holding a National Seminar on Biotechnology